Deep-dish Apricot Pie
To serve a crowd, double the recipe, including pastry, and spoon from the dish like a cobbler.
Yield: 1 (9-inch) pie
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1 1/2 cups dried apricots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup fresh apricots, peeled, pitted, and sliced into quarters
- Double-Crust Pastry
- Whisk together first 3 ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk in cream and next 3 ingredients. Stir in walnuts and apricots.
- Roll pastry to 1/8-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Fit into a 9-inch pie plate. Spoon apricot mixture into piecrust. Roll remaining pastry to 1/8-inch thickness. Place over filling; seal and crimp edges. Cut slits in top to allow steam to escape.
- Bake at 375° for 1 hour, tenting if necessary. Cool on wire rack.
- Note: 3/4 cup dried apricots may be substituted for fresh. Pour hot water to cover; let stand 20 minutes. Drain apricots, and cut in half; use in addition to 1 1/2 cups dried apricots.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts