fortunately, I grow my own sweet potatoes. this pie has recieved raved reviews by my family and friends. I wanted to share the reciepe so others can make a really great pie
Decadent Sweet Potato Pie
Depending on what part of the country you are from this is a sweet potato or yam pie. I am using the red yams. you can use white sweet potatos, just adjust the sugar.
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- pie filling
- 2 or 3 medium sweet potatoes sliced
- 1 1/2 cup(s) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup(s) brown sugar
- 2 eggs litely beaten
- 1 stick(s) butter melted
- 3/4 cup(s) whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) ground nutmeg fresh ground is best
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) cinnamon frest ground is best
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon(s) pure vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup(s) brown sugar
- 1 pinch(s) salt
- 1/2 stick(s) butter melted
- 2/3 tp 1 cup(s) pecans chopped
- pie shell
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. To prepare potatoes, place potatoes in a Dutch oven; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until tender; drain. Cool & peel off skins.
- 3. Place potatoes in a large bowl; mash. Beat with mixer then carefully remove beaters and knock off the strings, mix again and remove strings. add granulated sugar, brown sugar, melted butter, spices & salt, add 1/2 cup cream - beat - Add eggs & vanillla; beat well. add more cream until consistancy is somewhat smooth but not loose or runny . Fill 9" pie crust.
- 4. To prepare topping, lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, brown sugar, and 1/8 teaspoon salt; stir with a whisk. Stir in melted butter. Add peacans. Sprinkle flour/sugar mixture evenly over potato mixture; make sure you have enough topping to totally cover the top.Adjust amounts of butter - sugar - peacans as needed. Bake at 350° for 45 to 55 minutes. cover with foil for first 1/2 hr. Use toothpick to test for doneness. It should come out dry.
- * This can also be made as a casserole.
- * * pie filling can be made ahead and put in fridge overnight. this way flavors are blended and you can taste and adjust sugar and spice brefore puting in pie crust.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by HeatherPurcell and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note