Wonderful! This mousse was so good it has now replaced our family recipe. Note the raw eggs; we used a neighbor's fresh backyard chicken eggs.
Decadent Chocolate Mousse
Photo: Annabelle Breakey; Styling: Robyn Valarik
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 387
- Calories from fat: 74%
- Protein: 6.8g
- Fat: 31g
- Saturated fat: 17g
- Carbohydrate: 29g
- Fiber: 3g
- Sodium: 47mg
- Cholesterol: 147mg
- 18 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup strong coffee
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup orange liqueur, such as Grand Marnier
- 1. Put chocolate, coffee, and sugar in a large metal mixing bowl. Set bowl over a large pot filled with 1 in. simmering water. Melt chocolate, stirring often, until smooth. Remove from heat and set aside.
- 2. Whisk egg whites in a medium bowl with a mixer until they hold stiff peaks. Whisk cream in another bowl until soft ribbons form.
- 3. Stir yolks into warm chocolate mixture. Mix in liqueur. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in whites until almost blended, then gently fold in whipped cream until no streaks remain.
- 4. Pour chocolate mixture into a large (8-cup) glass serving bowl. Cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap and chill until ready to serve. Serve with sweetened whipped cream.
- Make ahead: Up to 3 days, covered and chilled.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts