- 4 cups milk
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger, sliced
- 6 cardamom pods
- 1 star anise
- 1/4 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 4 regular-size black tea bags
How to Make It
Bring first 8 ingredients and 2 cups water to a boil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Add tea bags; cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 10 minutes. Pour mixture through a fine wire-mesh strainer into a heatproof pitcher, discarding solids. Serve warm or chilled over ice.
Dark Chocolate Chai Latte: Stir 4 oz. chopped dark chocolate and 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon in with first 8 ingredients, stirring until chocolate is melted. Proceed with recipe as directed.