Well-seasoned veggie mix that's a handy base to have in the freezer for dinner recipes. Be aware that the veggie mix, when thawed, has quite a bit of liquid in it. I found the Shrimp with Rice recipe was much too soupy using the recommended amount of liquid. The Beef and Vegetable Dinner was great - similar to spaghetti with meat sauce, but with a bit of Greek flair. Haven't tried the other variations. The vegetable medley is a tasty, healthy head-start for weeknight suppers. I'll use it again!
Day-by-Day Vegetable Medley
- 3 medium onions, chopped (about 4 1/2 cups)
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped (about 3 cups)
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped (about 3 cups)
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large eggplant, unpeeled and chopped (about 8 cups)
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced (about 6 cups)
- 4 (10-ounce) cans cans mild diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 1/4 cup Greek seasoning
- Sauté onions and bell peppers in 1 tablespoon hot olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat 5 minutes. Place onion mixture in large bowl, and set aside.
- Sauté eggplant in 2 tablespoons hot olive oil in Dutch oven over medium heat 5 minutes. Add eggplant to onion mixture in bowl.
- Sauté mushrooms in remaining 2 tablespoons hot oil in Dutch oven over medium heat 5 minutes.
- Add canned diced tomatoes and green chiles, Greek seasoning, and vegetable mixture to Dutch oven, and cook 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Spoon 3 cups mixture into each of four freezer bags; seal and freeze up to one month.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Cavender's All Purpose Greek Seasoning.
- Individual Pizzas: Place 6 (5-ounce) Italian bread shells on baking sheet. Brush each with 1 teaspoon olive oil. Spread 1/2 cup Day-by-Day Vegetable Medley, thawed, over each crust. Sprinkle each with 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese and your favorite toppings. Bake at 450° for 15 to 20 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Greek-Style Chicken Stew: Bring 4 cups chopped cooked chicken; 3 cups Day-by-Day Vegetable Medley, thawed; and 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can chicken broth to a boil in a large saucepan. Stir in 1 cup cooked diced potatoes and 1 cup whipping cream. Reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Salt to taste.
- Shrimp With Rice: Heat 3 cups Day-by-Day Vegetable Medley, thawed, and 1 cup vegetable broth in large saucepan; add 1 (16-ounce) package peeled frozen shrimp, thawed, and cook until thoroughly heated. Spoon mixture over hot cooked rice. Serve immediately.
- Beef-And-Vegetable Supper: Cook 1 pound lean ground beef in large skillet, stirring until it crumbles and is no longer pink. Stir in 3 cups Day-by-Day Vegetable Medley, thawed; 1 cup chicken broth; and 1 (8-ounce) can tomato paste. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 30 minutes. Serve over your favorite cooked pasta or noodles. Salt to taste.
- Black Bean Soup: Bring 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained; 3 cups Day-by-Day Vegetable Medley, thawed; and 2 cups chicken broth to a boil. Stir in 1/4 cup lime juice, 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, and 1/2 teaspoon chili powder. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 45 minutes. Serve with chopped fresh cilantro and chopped onion. Salt to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes