David's Chicken-Fried Steak with Redeye Gravy
Cayenne pepper, hot sauce, and buttermilk punch up the flavor to David's Chicken-Fried Steak with Redeye Gravy.
More From Southern Living
Total: 2 Hours, 30 Minutes
- 4 (4-oz.) rib-eye steaks
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups vegetable oil
- Redeye Gravy
- 1. Place steaks between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap, and flatten to 1/4-inch thickness, using flat side of a meat mallet. Lightly pound steak, using textured side of meat mallet. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap, and chill 1 hour.
- 2. Combine flour and next 3 ingredients in a bowl. Whisk together eggs and next 2 ingredients in a separate bowl. Sprinkle both sides of steaks with salt and black pepper.
- 3. Dip steaks in egg mixture, and dredge in flour mixture, shaking off excess. Repeat procedure two more times.
- 4. Fry steaks, 1 at a time, in hot oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 4 to 6 minutes on each side or until golden. Drain on a wire rack in a jelly-roll pan. Serve with gravy.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note