Do not substitute any other cheese for the gruyere. It gives this dish its flavor. This surprisingly delicious recipe always has folks coming back for second servings, so make sure that you make enough! Recipe from Grandmother's Kitchen.
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 4 medium potatoes, peeeed
- 1 clove(s) garlic, cut into halves
- 1 teaspoon(s) butter
- 1 teaspoon(s) salt
- 3/4 teaspoon(s) ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) pepper
- 1 1/2 cup(s) gruyere cheese, shredded
- 2 eggs
- 1 2/3 cup(s) half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon(s) butter
- 1 Cut peeled potatoes into thin slices to measure about 4 cups. Rub an oblong baking dish (10x6) with the cut garlic cloves and then brush with 1 tsp butter.
- 2 Arrange the potatoes into 3 layers in the dish, sprinkling each layer with 1/3 each of the salt,nutmeg,pepper and cheese.
- 3 Beat the eggs and half-and-half and pour over the potato slices. Dot with 1 tablespoon butter.
- 4 Bake uncovered in 350 degree oven until golden brown and bubbly. (About an hour).
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note