- 1 (3- to 4-pound) veal rump roast
- 1 tablespoon shortening, melted
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 3 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 medium-size green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon dried whole thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper
- 2 lemons, sliced
- 2 egg whites, unbeaten
- 4 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup cold water
- Fresh parsley sprigs (optional)
How to Make It
Brown roast on all sides in shortening in a Dutch oven. Cover roast with water. Combine next 13 ingredients (vegetables and spices); pour over roast. Cover and simmer 2 hours or until meat is tender. Remove roast; cool 10 minutes. Slice and arrange attractively on a deep serving platter; garnish with lemon slices. Set aside.
Line large strainer with cheesecloth; strain pan liquid, reserving 2 cups liquid. Discard vegetables and spices. Pour reserved liquid into a medium saucepan; add egg whites. Simmer (do not boil) 10 minutes. Line strainer with cheesecloth; strain liquid, and discard egg whites.
Soften gelatin in cold water 5 minutes; add reserved hot liquid, stirring until gelatin is dissolved. Pour gelatin mixture over sliced roast and lemon slices; chill until firm. Garnish with fresh parsley, if desired.