Bottom line - cookies taste great! Several steps (read directions carefully first for clear understanding). Used food processor to chop dates. Added some sugar first to keep dates from sticking.
Date Pinwheel Cookies
- 1 (10-ounce) package chopped dates
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Stir together dates, 1/4 cup sugar, 1/2 cup water, and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a saucepan; bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; simmer 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in walnuts, and set aside.
- Beat remaining 1/2 cup sugar, softened butter, and brown sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla, beating until blended. Gradually add remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt, flour, and baking soda, beating until blended. Cover and chill 1 hour.
- Turn dough out onto floured wax paper, and roll into an 18- x 12-inch rectangle. Spread date mixture evenly over dough, leaving a 1/2-inch border.
- Roll up dough jellyroll fashion, beginning at 1 long side. Wrap in wax paper, and chill 1 hour.
- Cut roll into 1/4-inch-thick slices; place on lightly greased baking sheets.
- Bake, in batches, at 375° for 12 to 14 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool cookies 2 to 3 minutes on baking sheets, and remove to wire racks to cool completely.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Date Pinwheel Cookies Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Cookies