Date Nut Bread
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese, softened (optional)
- Sprinkle soda over dates; add water, and set aside.
- Cream butter; gradually add sugar, beating well. Add date mixture and egg; beat well.
- Combine 1 3/4 cups flour, baking powder, and salt; add to creamed mixture, beating until smooth. Dredge pecans in remaining flour; stir into batter. Stir in vanilla.
- Spoon batter into a greased and waxed paper-lined 9- x 5- x 3-inch loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 1 hour and 5 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes; remove from pan, and cool completely on wire rack. Slice, and serve with cream cheese, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This