- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese, softened (optional)
How to Make It
Sprinkle soda over dates; add water, and set aside.
Cream butter; gradually add sugar, beating well. Add date mixture and egg; beat well.
Combine 1 3/4 cups flour, baking powder, and salt; add to creamed mixture, beating until smooth. Dredge pecans in remaining flour; stir into batter. Stir in vanilla.
Spoon batter into a greased and waxed paper-lined 9- x 5- x 3-inch loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 1 hour and 5 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes; remove from pan, and cool completely on wire rack. Slice, and serve with cream cheese, if desired.