Date and Chicken Salad
Prep Time: about 20 minutes. Notes: Choose tangerines that have tight skins, such as Kinnow.
Yield: Makes 4 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 317
- Calories from fat: 8.5%
- Protein: 25g
- Fat: 3g
- Saturated fat: 0.7g
- Carbohydrate: 51g
- Fiber: 5.1g
- Sodium: 600mg
- Cholesterol: 60mg
- 1 head fennel (3 1/2 to 4 in. wide)
- 2 cups shredded boned, skinned cooked chicken breast
- 10 Medjool dates (about 2 in. long)
- 1/2 pound tangerines (see notes)
- 1/3 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salad oil (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1. Trim stalks from fennel. Rinse feathery green leaves; chop enough to measure 2 to 3 tablespoons and save a few others for garnish. Discard remaining leaves and stalks. Trim root end, any bruised areas, and coarse fibers from fennel head. Rinse head and cut into paper-thin slices. In a bowl, combine chopped leaves, sliced fennel, and chicken.
- 2. Cut dates lengthwise into 1/2-inch-wide slices; discard pits. Add dates to bowl.
- 3. Rinse tangerines and cut in half crosswise. Ream juice from 1/2 the fruit and add to bowl. Cut remaining tangerines (including peel) vertically into paper-thin slices, discarding seeds; add to bowl, along with vinegar and oil. Sprinkle mixture with cayenne, mix gently, and spoon onto plates. Garnish with a few of the reserved green fennel leaves. Add salt to taste.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This