Date and Celery Salad
Notes: You'll need a bunch of celery that weighs about 1 3/4 pounds; use a vegetable peeler to pare the coarse fibers from the curved back sides of the stalks, then use the peeler or a vegetable slicer to cut them diagonally into paper-thin slices. You can cut the dates, cheese, and celery up to 4 hours ahead; chill them separately airtight. Assemble the salad just before serving.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 140
- Calories from fat: 19%
- Protein: 5.1g
- Fat: 2.9g
- Saturated fat: 1.8g
- Carbohydrate: 26g
- Fiber: 3.2g
- Sodium: 390mg
- Cholesterol: 7.5mg
- 9 to 12 Medjool dates
- 3 cups paper-thin slices celery (see notes)
- About 1/2 teaspoon kosher or other coarse salt
- 2 ounces parmesan cheese, cut into paper-thin slices
- About 2 tablespoons balsamic or berry-flavored balsamic vinegar
- 1. With a sharp knife, cut dates from pits lengthwise into 1/4-inch-wide strips; discard pits.
- 2. In a bowl, gently mix the celery with salt to taste (the mixture should taste slightly salty).
- 3. Mound celery equally on salad plates. Scatter dates, separating pieces, over celery; top equally with parmesan slices. Drizzle about 2 teaspoons vinegar over each salad.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note