I have looked for the perfect date ball since 1993, when I ate one at a friend's house. All of the recipes I have tried yearly called for eggs or egg whites, and none of them were as perfectly soft and delicious as that first one. I finally looked around yesterday and found this one. I knew when I was rolling these that this was the perfect recipe! I did add more rice krispies than the recipe called for, and used 1/2 cup of brown & 1/2 cup white sugar (instead of 1 cup of white sugar). My finicky eaters loved them, not knowing what was in them, as did the rest of the extended family. THANK YOU so much for ending my search for these awesome treats!
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 (10-ounce) package chopped dates
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups crisp rice cereal
- Powdered sugar
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a saucepan; cook over low heat 6 to 8 minutes, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves. Add pecans, and cook, stirring constantly, 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla. Stir in cereal, and cool slightly.
- Shape mixture into 1 1/2-inch balls; roll in powdered sugar.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note