Dark Velvet Torte
Notes: If making ahead, cool cake, cover airtight, and chill up to 1 day. For best texture, let cake stand at room temperature about 1 hour before serving.
Yield: Makes 8 to 10 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 229
- Calories from fat: 75%
- Protein: 4.2g
- Fat: 19g
- Saturated fat: 11g
- Carbohydrate: 15g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Sodium: 119mg
- Cholesterol: 110mg
- 8 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped (about 1 1/3 cups)
- 1/2 cup (1/4 lb.) butter, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Softly whipped cream, sweetened to taste
- Raspberries rinsed and drained
- 1. Place chocolate and butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat in a microwave oven at 50 percent power, stirring twice, until chocolate is soft, 3 to 4 minutes total. Remove from oven; stir until mixture is smoothly blended.
- 2. Add egg yolks and flour to chocolate mixture; whisk until smooth.
- 3. In a bowl, combine egg whites and cream of tartar. Beat with a mixer on high speed until whites are foamy. Beat, gradually adding sugar, until whites hold stiff, glossy peaks.
- 4. Add about a fourth of the beaten whites to chocolate mixture; stir to mix. Add remaining whites and gently fold into chocolate mixture until evenly incorporated. Scrape mixture into an 8-inch cake pan with removable rim. Spread batter smooth.
- 5. Bake in a 350° oven until torte puffs slightly and center barely jiggles when pan is gently shaken, 18 to 20 minutes. Cool at least 1 hour in pan on a rack (torte sinks slightly).
- 6. Slide a sharp knife between torte and pan. Remove pan rim.
- 7. Cut torte into wedges and transfer to plates. Spoon whipped cream onto each serving and garnish with berries.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts