Let me offer a warning about the baking instructions this recipe called for! Two 9" cake pans are not big enough! When I made this, the batter overflowed into the oven and burned pretty badly. It also took well over 22 minutes to bake.
Dark Chocolate Layer Cake
A cake to please all chocolate lovers--dark chocolate layers under a blanket of creamy white chocolate frosting.
More From Oxmoor House
Total: 1 Hour, 9 Minutes
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 ounces sweet dark chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- White Chocolate Frosting
- Beat butter and sugars at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition. Add cooled chocolate and vanilla, beating until blended.
- Combine flour and next 3 ingredients; add to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed after each addition. Pour batter into 2 greased parchment paper-lined 9" round cakepans.
- Bake at 350° for 22 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.
- Spread White Chocolate Frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note