I am making this recipe for our holiday party. Need to serve about 100 so decided to do a cupcake version. Tried the bundt version first and loved the rich taste and chunks of dark chocolate. Didn't want to mess with all the cake cutting the night of the party so did a trial with making it into cupcakes. Yes indeed. This will be the dessert and I'm sure I'll get rave reviews. I did substitute Devil's Food cake instead of yellow cake, otherwise, everything was the same. Cooked the cupcakes 23 minutes to perfect doneness. Will top with whipped cream and a few chocolate chunks.
Dark Chocolate Chunk Cherry Cake
More From Oxmoor House
Other: 18 Minutes
- Unsweetened cocoa
- 1 (18.25-ounce) package yellow cake mix with pudding
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 (3.8-ounce) package devil's food instant pudding mix
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 (8-ounce) container sour cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 5 (3-ounce) dark chocolate bars, divided (we tested with Ghirardelli)
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped dried cherries
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- Grease a 12-cup Bundt pan, and dust with cocoa; set aside.
- Combine cake mix, sugar, and pudding mix in a large mixing bowl.
- Beat eggs and next 4 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer until blended. Gradually add oil mixture to dry ingredients; beat 2 minutes. Coarsely chop 3 chocolate bars; fold cherries and chopped chocolate into batter. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on a wire rack 15 minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely on wire rack.
- Coarsely chop 1 chocolate bar. Place chopped chocolate and butter in a small bowl; set aside.
- Bring whipping cream to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Remove from heat, and immediately pour over chocolate and butter. Whisk gently until smooth. Cool glaze 3 minutes or until slightly thickened. Drizzle glaze over cake. Coarsely chop remaining chocolate bar; sprinkle chopped chocolate over cake.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts