Daphene Oz's Shrimp Paella
Community Recipe from
- 1 cup(s) pearl barley
- 3 cup(s) water
- 3 tablespoon(s) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion medium
- 1 cup(s) thin red pepper strips
- 1 cup(s) thin yellow pepper strips
- 1 fennel bulb in strips small, remove stalks
- 3 clove(s) garlic crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) ground tumeric
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch(s) saffron
- 2 1/4 cup(s) vegetable stock hot
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 3/4 pound(s) shelled deveined shrimp large (about 16)
- 1 cup(s) peas fresh or frozen
- 1 cup(s) cherry or grape tomatoes
- 6 marinated artichoke hearts drained and quartered (about 1 cup)
- 15 kalamata olives halved (1/4 cup)
- Bring barley and water to a boil in a small saucepan. Cover and boil for 2 more minutes. Turn off heat. Let sit, covered, for an hour, until water is absorbed.
- Heat oil in a large pan or skillet over medium heat and cook onoion until softened, 5 minutes.
- Add peppers and fennel. Cook until vegetables soften, 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Add bay leaves, apprika, tumeric and cayenne. Mix in barley and cook for 2 minutes. Add vinegar, saffron, 2 cups stock and salt. Bring to a vigerous simmer.
- Stir and cook until liquid reduces by half, 5 minutes. Reduce heat and simmer until most liquid is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove bay leaves and discard.
- Stir in shrimp, peas, tomatoes, artichokes, olives and remaining 1/4 cup stock. Simmer for 2 minutes, then turn off heat. Cover tightly and let rest 10 minutes until shrimp are just cooked through. Divide among bowls and serve.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by JenniferB08 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Daphene Oz's Shrimp Paella Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Main Dishes