Delicious and spicy! I followed the recipe except I made jasmine rice. It took a bit tho thicken up, but it got there. The spinach was great in it.
Dak Bokkeum with Spinach (Korean Stewed Chicken with Spinach)
Gochujang is an indispensable Korean sauce based on fermented soybeans and chiles. You'll find it in Asian markets, or seek out Annie Chun's brand, which is more widely available.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour, 25 Minutes
- Calories: 433
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated fat: 2.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.6g
- Protein: 33.5g
- Carbohydrate: 45.2g
- Fiber: 2.9g
- Cholesterol: 125mg
- Iron: 6.3mg
- Sodium: 649mg
- Calcium: 54mg
- 1/3 cup gochujang (Korean chile sauce)
- 1/4 cup (1/2-inch) slices green onion bottoms
- 2 1/2 tablespoons lower-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
- 2 tablespoons minced peeled ginger
- 2 tablespoons dark sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked short-grain white rice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/3 cup water
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2-inch) slices green onion tops
- 1 (5-ounce) bag fresh baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1. Combine the first 8 ingredients in a large bowl. Stir in chicken. Cover and marinate 30 minutes.
- 2. Place rice in a medium saucepan; cover with water to 2 inches above rice. Stir rice; drain. Repeat procedure twice. Add 1 1/2 cups water to drained rice in pan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand 10 minutes.
- 3. While rice cooks, bring 1/3 cup water to a boil in a Dutch oven. Add chicken mixture; bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes. Uncover and simmer 10 minutes or until mixture thickens, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in green onion tops and spinach. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve with rice.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note