Daddy's Country Ham
Community Recipe from
- 1 country ham
- 1 cup(s) white vinegar
- 2 potatoes, whole. unpeeled (these are only to absorp the salt from the ham)
- Remove ham from bag, and saw hock off (save this for beans). Scrub off any mold (this is normal).
- Put ham, hock-side down, in turkey deep fryer pan (my ancestors used to use 5-gallon lard can), and cover with water. Add lid. Soak overnight.
- Drain water from ham, and fill with fresh water. Add vinegar and potatoes. Bring to a boil and cook for 1 hour.
- Very carefully remove pot from stove and set into quilts and paper, and cover with lid. Wrap pot in as many quilts and as much paper as possible. Leave pan in this bundle for 24 hours.
- The next day, remove ham from the pot. When you're able to handle the ham, remove the bone (it will probably just pull straight out with a slight tug). Wrap ham tightly in plastic wrap (this step will give you a nicely shaped ham) and refrigerate.
- When ready to serve, bring ham to room temperature and slice very thinly.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by robinarroyave and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes