I used a little "Gravy Master" instead of the smoked salt, since that's so expensive - so far it tastes good, but it is taking a lot longer for the collards to be done than the recipe says.
More From Southern Living
Other: 25 Minutes
- 2 bunches fresh collard greens (about 3 lb.)
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons hickory smoked salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1. Separate collard bunches into leaves. Trim and discard tough stalk from center of leaves; stack leaves, and roll up, starting at 1 long side. Cut roll into 1/8-inch-thick slices. Rinse slices under cold running water. Drain well.
- 2. Sauté onion in hot oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat 5 to 7 minutes or until tender. Add broth and next 4 ingredients. Bring to a boil.
- 3. Gradually add collards to Dutch oven, and cook, stirring occasionally, 6 to 8 minutes or just until wilted. Reduce heat to medium, and cook, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes or until tender.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables