- 2 bunches fresh collard greens (about 3 lb.)
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons hickory smoked salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
How to Make It
Separate collard bunches into leaves. Trim and discard tough stalk from center of leaves; stack leaves, and roll up, starting at 1 long side. Cut roll into 1/8-inch-thick slices. Rinse slices under cold running water. Drain well.
Sauté onion in hot oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat 5 to 7 minutes or until tender. Add broth and next 4 ingredients. Bring to a boil.
Gradually add collards to Dutch oven, and cook, stirring occasionally, 6 to 8 minutes or just until wilted. Reduce heat to medium, and cook, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes or until tender.