This is a great recipe and is one of my favorites so far. Very delicious and fun to make. I'm so happy I found this online again after misplacing the Sunset issue that has this recipe. Yay!
Custardy Oven Pancake with Mixed Berries
Sunset reader Jayne Bohannon of Gunnison, CO, contributed this poofy oven pancake, suomalainen pannukakku, which is like a cross between a Dutch baby and a French clafoutis. Her Finnish great-great-grandmother used to serve it at for family gatherings at the spa she started in Berkeley, CA. Bohannon adds a berry swirl and fresh fruit on top. Try it for dessert or brunch.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 267
- Calories from fat: 37%
- Protein: 8g
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated fat: 5.9g
- Carbohydrate: 35g
- Fiber: 3.5g
- Sodium: 328mg
- Cholesterol: 129mg
- 4 large eggs
- About 5 1/2 tbsp. honey, divided
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 2 cups raspberries, divided
- 1/4 cup butter, cut into chunks
- 1 pound strawberries, hulled and sliced (or use another favorite fruit)
- 1. Set an ovenproof 12-in. frying pan or 9- by 13-in. pan in oven and preheat oven to 425°. Whisk eggs, 1/4 cup honey, and the zest in a medium bowl to blend. Add salt, flour, and 1/4 cup milk and whisk until smooth, then whisk in remaining milk.
- 2. Purée 1 cup raspberries in a food processor until smooth. Strain; discard seeds.
- 3. Remove pan from oven; add butter and swirl until melted and golden. Pour in batter. Pour raspberry purée over batter in wide ribbons. Reduce heat to 400° and bake pancake until deep golden, 30 minutes. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes to firm up (pancake will fall).
- 4. Combine strawberries and remaining 1 cup raspberries and 1 1/2 tbsp. honey in a bowl; let stand at least 10 minutes. Add honey to taste. Spoon half of fruit over pancake and serve the rest on the side. Cut pancake into wedges.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note