I struggled with the timing on this.....maybe I just didn't know what the consistency should be since I've never done anything like it .I took it out per the recipe and let it stand and cut it and put berries on it. When I got it to the table it seemed very under cooked...put it back in the over for 10/rest for 10 - -still seemed to not be ready so re baked for another 10/10 rest. I ended up not serving it - - just too late for the meal. When everyone left I tasted it and it was delicious. So I don't know what the right timing is I'll try again. It LOOKED great and I think with the right timing will be awesome....per other reviewers.
Custardy Oven Pancake with Mixed Berries
Sunset reader Jayne Bohannon of Gunnison, CO, contributed this poofy oven pancake, suomalainen pannukakku, which is like a cross between a Dutch baby and a French clafoutis. Her Finnish great-great-grandmother used to serve it at for family gatherings at the spa she started in Berkeley, CA. Bohannon adds a berry swirl and fresh fruit on top. Try it for dessert or brunch.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 267
- Calories from fat: 37%
- Protein: 8g
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated fat: 5.9g
- Carbohydrate: 35g
- Fiber: 3.5g
- Sodium: 328mg
- Cholesterol: 129mg
- 4 large eggs
- About 5 1/2 tbsp. honey, divided
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 2 cups raspberries, divided
- 1/4 cup butter, cut into chunks
- 1 pound strawberries, hulled and sliced (or use another favorite fruit)
- 1. Set an ovenproof 12-in. frying pan or 9- by 13-in. pan in oven and preheat oven to 425°. Whisk eggs, 1/4 cup honey, and the zest in a medium bowl to blend. Add salt, flour, and 1/4 cup milk and whisk until smooth, then whisk in remaining milk.
- 2. Purée 1 cup raspberries in a food processor until smooth. Strain; discard seeds.
- 3. Remove pan from oven; add butter and swirl until melted and golden. Pour in batter. Pour raspberry purée over batter in wide ribbons. Reduce heat to 400° and bake pancake until deep golden, 30 minutes. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes to firm up (pancake will fall).
- 4. Combine strawberries and remaining 1 cup raspberries and 1 1/2 tbsp. honey in a bowl; let stand at least 10 minutes. Add honey to taste. Spoon half of fruit over pancake and serve the rest on the side. Cut pancake into wedges.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note