- 4 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half, scalded
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream, whipped
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sifted powdered sugar
- 3 cups flaked coconut
How to Make It
Combine egg yolks, 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, and salt in top of a double boiler. Place over boiling water. Slowly add half-and-half, stirring with a wire whisk. Bring water to a boil; reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture coats a metal spoon. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Chill thoroughly.
Fold whipped cream, powdered sugar, and coconut into custard.