Coastal Living MARCH 2010
1. Separate shallot rings, and pat dry with paper towels.
2. Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots, and cook 9 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Drain shallots on paper towels; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Set aside.
3. Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon white pepper, cauliflower, and next 6 ingredients. Bring to a boil; cover and simmer 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
4. Process half of mixture in a blender until smooth, stopping once to scrape down sides. Repeat procedure with remaining mixture. Return puree to Dutch oven. Stir in orange and lemon juices. Keep warm.
5. Heat remaining 4 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Combine remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon white pepper with flour in a shallow bowl. Dredge scallops in flour mixture, shaking off excess. Cook scallops in pan 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
6. Ladle soup into 4 shallow bowls; place 4 scallops in the center of each bowl, and sprinkle with crispy shallots. Garnish, if desired.
Go to Full Version of