Curry-Citrus Cauliflower Soup with Seared Scallops and Crispy Shallots
Photo: Con Poulos; Styling: Deborah Williams
Yield: Makes 4 servings
More From Coastal Living
- 3 shallots, sliced
- 7 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper, divided
- 1 small head cauliflower
- 1 (2-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Madras curry powder
- Pinch of saffron threads
- 6 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 16 sea scallops
- Garnish: fresh mint leaves
- 1. Separate shallot rings, and pat dry with paper towels.
- 2. Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots, and cook 9 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Drain shallots on paper towels; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Set aside.
- 3. Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon white pepper, cauliflower, and next 6 ingredients. Bring to a boil; cover and simmer 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 4. Process half of mixture in a blender until smooth, stopping once to scrape down sides. Repeat procedure with remaining mixture. Return puree to Dutch oven. Stir in orange and lemon juices. Keep warm.
- 5. Heat remaining 4 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Combine remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon white pepper with flour in a shallow bowl. Dredge scallops in flour mixture, shaking off excess. Cook scallops in pan 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- 6. Ladle soup into 4 shallow bowls; place 4 scallops in the center of each bowl, and sprinkle with crispy shallots. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews