I made this hoping to take it to a party, but after it was done and I had tasted it, I just picked something up at the store instead. My husband likes almost anything with curry powder in it and even he didn't like it. I would not recommend this recipe at all.
Curry-Carrot Dip with Toasted Pita Chips
"I always look for ways to transform vegetables into dips and appetizers. If you can't find cardamom seeds, use an extra 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin." -Juliana Goodwin, Springfield, MO
Yield: 12 servings (serving size: about 1/3 cup dip and 2 pita chips)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 153
- Calories from fat: 20%
- Fat: 3.4g
- Saturated fat: 0.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 4.7g
- Carbohydrate: 28.2g
- Fiber: 5.3g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 1.5mg
- Sodium: 370mg
- Calcium: 41mg
- 3 cups (1/4-inch-thick) slices carrot (about 2 pounds)
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cardamom seeds or dash ground cardamom
- 4 (6-inch) whole wheat pitas, each cut into 6 wedges
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion (about 1 large onion)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Place carrot in a saucepan. Cover with water to 1 inch above carrot. Add broth and cardamom; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 40 minutes or until carrot is tender. Drain carrot in a colander over a bowl, reserving 1 1/2 cups cooking liquid. Discard the cardamom seeds. Combine reserved liquid and carrot; refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Coat pita wedges with cooking spray; place in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until crisp.
- Remove carrot with a slotted spoon. Place carrot and 3/4 cup reserved cooking liquid in a blender, and process until smooth. Discard remaining liquid.
- Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 3 minutes. Stir in curry powder and cumin; sauté 1 minute. Add carrot mixture; cook 2 minutes or until heated through. Stir in cilantro, garlic salt, and pepper. Serve immediately with pita chips.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Appetizers