I made this hoping to take it to a party, but after it was done and I had tasted it, I just picked something up at the store instead. My husband likes almost anything with curry powder in it and even he didn't like it. I would not recommend this recipe at all.
Curry-Carrot Dip with Toasted Pita Chips
"I always look for ways to transform vegetables into dips and appetizers. If you can't find cardamom seeds, use an extra 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin." -Juliana Goodwin, Springfield, MO
Yield: 12 servings (serving size: about 1/3 cup dip and 2 pita chips)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 153
- Calories from fat: 20%
- Fat: 3.4g
- Saturated fat: 0.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 4.7g
- Carbohydrate: 28.2g
- Fiber: 5.3g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 1.5mg
- Sodium: 370mg
- Calcium: 41mg
- 3 cups (1/4-inch-thick) slices carrot (about 2 pounds)
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cardamom seeds or dash ground cardamom
- 4 (6-inch) whole wheat pitas, each cut into 6 wedges
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion (about 1 large onion)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Place carrot in a saucepan. Cover with water to 1 inch above carrot. Add broth and cardamom; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 40 minutes or until carrot is tender. Drain carrot in a colander over a bowl, reserving 1 1/2 cups cooking liquid. Discard the cardamom seeds. Combine reserved liquid and carrot; refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Coat pita wedges with cooking spray; place in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until crisp.
- Remove carrot with a slotted spoon. Place carrot and 3/4 cup reserved cooking liquid in a blender, and process until smooth. Discard remaining liquid.
- Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 3 minutes. Stir in curry powder and cumin; sauté 1 minute. Add carrot mixture; cook 2 minutes or until heated through. Stir in cilantro, garlic salt, and pepper. Serve immediately with pita chips.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note