Curry Artichoke Rice Salad
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 tablespoons butter (can substitute olive oil)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 large jar (14.75 oz) marinated artichoke hearts, drained and chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted.
- 1 recipe curry mayonnaise (see below)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley (optional)
- 1. Put rice in a mesh strainer and rinse well under running water, swishing it around for a few minutes. Drain well.
- 2. In a small saucepan, melt butter over mediumhigh heat. Add cumin seeds and stir for a few seconds. When seeds have darkened and are fragrant, add rice and cook, stirring constantly, until the rice grains have turned opaque and a few of them are just starting to brown. Add chicken broth, stir, and let come to a boil. Turn heat down to low, cover pot and let simmer undisturbed for 20 minutes. Remove from heat, fluff rice with a fork and pour into a large bowl. Allow to cool.
- 3 While rice is cooking and cooling, make the mayonnaise, chop the vegetables, and toast the almonds.
- 4. When rice has cooled, stir in the artichokes, almonds, bell pepper, parsley and curry mayonnaise. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Recipe Notes: I prefer the Cara Mia brand of artichoke hearts. To toast almonds, heat a skillet over medium heat. Add almonds and stir until fragrant and lightly browned. Remove from skillet immediately and let cool. If you really dont want to make the mayo from scratch, use one cup of good quality mayonnaise and whisk in one tablespoon curry powder, 1 teaspoon brown sugar, and 1/8 teaspoon cayenne. To turn this salad into a meal, add one or two cups of cooked shredded chicken. Would also be good with leftover turkey!
- Curry Mayonnaise
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 t. white wine vinegar
- 1/4 t. dijon mustard
- 1/2 t. salt
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon curry powder
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolk, lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, and salt. Start adding oil, a few drops at a time, whisking continuously, until youve incorporated about 1/4 cup of the oil. Add remaining oil, still whisking continuously in a slow, steady stream. Mayonnaise should be thick and creamy. Whisk in curry powder, brown sugar, and cayenne. Refrigerate until ready to use.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by MonicaBP3 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Curry Artichoke Rice Salad Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Side Dishes/Vegetables