It was good but needed more ginger. I also added some coconut milk. Don't know if ill make it again.
Curried Turkey Soup
This creamy turkey soup recipe has distinctly Asian influences. Flavored with curry and sweetened with coconut, it's a tasty way to use leftovers from the holiday bird.
Yield: 11 servings
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 267
- Calories from fat: 25%
- Fat: 7.5g
- Saturated fat: 2.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.8g
- Protein: 19.3g
- Carbohydrate: 30.1g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Cholesterol: 36mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 555mg
- Calcium: 130mg
- 1 tablespoon stick margarine or butter
- 4 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 (16-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped leek
- 1/2 cup diced peeled Golden Delicious apple
- 1/2 cup diced carrot
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 3 cups finely shredded cooked turkey
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated skim milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- REMAINING INGREDIENTS:
- 2 3/4 cups hot cooked rice
- 3/4 cup diced peeled Golden Delicious apple
- 1/3 cup chopped dry-roasted peanuts
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup flaked sweetened coconut, toasted
- To prepare soup, melt margarine in a large Dutch oven over low heat. Add curry powder, ginger, and garlic; saute 2 minutes. Add 2 cans of broth, onion, and next 4 ingredients (onion through celery), and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Place half of the vegetable mixture in a food processor, and process until smooth. Spoon into a bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining vegetable mixture.
- Combine the vegetable puree, 1 can of broth, turkey, juice, pepper, and milk in pan, and stir well. Combine 1 can of broth and flour in a bowl. Stir with a whisk; add to vegetable mixture in pan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly.
- Spoon 1/4 cup rice into each of 11 bowls; top with 1 cup soup, about 1 tablespoon diced apple, 1 1/2 teaspoons peanuts, 1 1/2 teaspoons parsley, and 1 1/2 teaspoons coconut.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews