To prepare soup, melt margarine in a large Dutch oven over low heat. Add curry powder, ginger, and garlic; saute 2 minutes. Add 2 cans of broth, onion, and next 4 ingredients (onion through celery), and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Place half of the vegetable mixture in a food processor, and process until smooth. Spoon into a bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining vegetable mixture.
Combine the vegetable puree, 1 can of broth, turkey, juice, pepper, and milk in pan, and stir well. Combine 1 can of broth and flour in a bowl. Stir with a whisk; add to vegetable mixture in pan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly.
Spoon 1/4 cup rice into each of 11 bowls; top with 1 cup soup, about 1 tablespoon diced apple, 1 1/2 teaspoons peanuts, 1 1/2 teaspoons parsley, and 1 1/2 teaspoons coconut.
The toppings make the dish unique, although I didn't use them for my leftovers and I still enjoyed the recipe. My evoporated milk curdled when I added the lemon juice. Was I the only one this happend to? For a full review of the recipe please see my blog at http://www.dishoverdinner.com/2012/11/3-new-ideas-for-leftover-thanksgiving.html
This is fantastic but I made some changes.
1) I didn't use any apply (it just seemed weird)
2) I didn't have 4 cans of broth so I used 2 cans of chicken broth, 1 can vegetable broth and used extra fat free 1/2 & 1/2 in the end (I didn't have any evaporated milk, either)
3) I didn't need the flour to thicken. It was perfect.
4) I skipped the peanuts and coconut also.
5) I added a box of frozen spinach in the part where the vegetables simmer.
6) I used left over turkey from thanksgiving and zipped it in the food processor.
This was awesome! I am going to always make this with my turkey leftovers!
I thought this soup was great, but it definitely needed salt and more pepper to bring out the curry flavor. Why is there no salt in the recipe? Does it assume that the chicken broth is super salty? Add salt, it makes all the difference.
Eat Well. Lose Weight. Live Healthy. Delicious and healthy recipes customized for you!