This recipe is a nice take on a classic. It is easily adaptable to suit your needs and is a lighter alternative to even some of the other "light" versions on this site. The curry adds a nice flavor, but I felt that a bit of heat improved the dish significantly. We made the following modifications to suit our taste: -added 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes - added 64g low fat feta - used very low sodium tuna - left out the crackers - 1 large yellow onion instead of green - cooked noodles 1 minute less than suggested on packaging to avoid overcooking. They turned out perfectly. I will make this again.
Curried Tuna Noodle Casserole
We've revamped the classic with a touch of Indian curry.
Yield: 7 servings (serving size: 1 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 275
- Calories from fat: 16%
- Fat: 4.9g
- Saturated fat: 1.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 20.8g
- Carbohydrate: 36.4g
- Fiber: 4.1g
- Cholesterol: 54mg
- Iron: 3.5mg
- Sodium: 437mg
- Calcium: 100mg
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 5 cups sliced cremini or button mushrooms (about 3/4 pound)
- 3/4 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 3/4 cup sliced green onions
- 2/3 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 4 cups hot cooked medium egg noodles (3 1/4 cups uncooked pasta)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (12-ounce) can solid white tuna in water, drained and flaked
- 1/4 cup crushed reduced-fat round buttery crackers (such as Ritz; about 7 crackers)
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms; sauté 6 minutes or until soft. Add the peas, onions, bell pepper, and curry; sauté 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Place flour in a small bowl; gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk. Add to mushroom mixture; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 2 minutes or until thick, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in pasta, parsley, salt, and tuna. Spoon into a 2-quart casserole dish. Sprinkle with crushed crackers. Cover and bake 20 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Casseroles