Curried Sweet Potato Soup with Crab
Notes: Garnish soup with toasted, unsweetened shredded dried coconut.
Yield: Makes 5 cups; 4 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 380
- Calories from fat: 62%
- Protein: 15g
- Fat: 26g
- Saturated fat: 19g
- Carbohydrate: 25g
- Fiber: 2.7g
- Sodium: 521mg
- Cholesterol: 37mg
- 1 sweet potato or yam (3/4 lb.)
- 1 can (13 1/2 oz.) coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste or regular curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 1 cup (1/3 lb.) shelled, cooked crab
- 1/2 cup diced canned, peeled, roasted red pepper
- 1. Scrub sweet potato and pierce with a fork. Cook in a microwave oven at full power (100%) for 4 minutes. Turn over and cook until tender when pressed, 2 to 4 minutes more. (Or bake in a 400° oven until tender when pressed, about 45 minutes.)
- 2. Slit potato, then let stand until cool enough to handle. Scoop flesh into a blender. Add coconut milk and whirl until smoothly purèed.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a 10- to 12-inch frying pan over medium heat, frequently stir oil, onion, and garlic until onion is limp, 8 to 10 minutes.
- 4. To onion, add curry paste, coriander, cumin, broth, and sweet potato mixture, mixing well. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, to blend flavors, about 20 minutes.
- 5. Stir crab and red pepper into pan. Ladle soup into bowls. Season to taste with salt.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This