Curried Roasted Squash Soup
Photo: Annabelle Breakey; Styling: Randy Mon
More From Sunset
1 Hour, 15 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 204
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Protein: 4g
- Fat: 6.4g
- Saturated fat: 3.8g
- Carbohydrate: 37g
- Fiber: 6g
- Sodium: 1368mg
- Cholesterol: 16mg
- 1 kabocha or butternut squash (2 1/2 lbs.)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 large unpeeled onion, cut in half
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. cayenne
- About 4 tbsp. plain yogurt
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Cut squash in half lengthwise with large heavy knife (use a hammer or flat mallet to help drive the blade through). Scoop out seeds.
- 2. Mix butter and curry powder and brush over cut surfaces of squash and onion. Put squash and onion, cut sides down, on a rimmed baking pan. Bake until soft when pressed, about 1 hour.
- 3. Scoop flesh out of squash and remove skin from onion. Chop onion. Purée squash and onion, in batches and holding lid down with a towel, with 3 cups broth and any juices from baking pan. Pour into a large pot and thin with more broth if you like. Add salt and cayenne, and cook, stirring, over medium-high heat until hot.
- 4. Divide among serving bowls and top each bowl with about 1 tbsp. yogurt.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews