Curried Rice with Onions and Cashews
Basmati rice has a nutlike flavor and aroma. Toasting the mustard seeds, curry, and turmeric releases their flavors, infusing the rice with a warm spiciness.
More From Oxmoor House
- Calories: 134
- Fat: 6.2g
- Saturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 2.5g
- Carbohydrate: 18.2g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Iron: 0.8mg
- Sodium: 278mg
- Calories from fat: 42%
- Fiber: 1.3g
- Calcium: 18mg
- 2/3 cup uncooked basmati rice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 cups sliced onion
- 1 tablespoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 jalapeño pepper, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup chopped dry-roasted cashews, salted
- Cook rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
- . Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add mustard seeds; cover and cook 1 minute or until seeds pop. Reduce heat to medium, and stir in turmeric and curry. Add onion, ginger, and jalapeño; cook 13 minutes or until onion is tender and lightly browned, stirring frequently.
- . Add salt, sugar, and cooked rice to onion mixture, stirring well. Cook 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Stir in lime juice, and top with cashews.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note