Reminds me of my father-in-law's cooking. He was from Mumbai, India. This will be at all of our holiday meals...a way to honor him.
Photo: Ralph Anderson; Styling: Trinda Gage
Stir in 1/2 pound sautéd shrimp just before serving to make this a main dish for two.
Yield: Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 (10 1/2-ounce) can condensed chicken broth, undiluted
- 1 bay leaf
- Condiments: toasted slivered almonds, toasted coconut, golden raisins, sliced green onions, apple slices
- Melt butter in a heavy saucepan; add rice and next 4 ingredients, and saute 3 minutes (do not brown). Add broth and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Discard bay leaf, and serve with desired condiments.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note