Curried Red Lentils
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 2 Tblsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp yellow mustard seeds
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp tumeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- Pinch chili powder
- Pinch nutmeg
- 1 medium carrot, sliced plus other veggies such as peas or diced potatoes
- 1 cup red lentils
- 3 cups water OR 2 cups water and 1 can coconut milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1.In large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat and saut onion for 2 minutes
- 2.Add garlic and stir (dont burn it)!
- 3.Add mustard seeds and saut until the pop.
- 4.Add remaining spices and vegetables.
- 5.If mixture is to dry, add more oil so the spices dont burn.
- 6.Add the lentils and stir to coat with oil.
- 7.Add water and coconut milk (if using), bring to a simmer and cover.
- 8.Cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. The daal will be thick and creamy.
- 9.Add salt and pepper to taste at the very end.
- 10.Serve over brown or basmati rice and garnish with cilantro, toasted coconut, or chopped cashews if desired.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by brookfieldfood and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Curried Red Lentils Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Main Dishes