Tasty, light and quick to make. The curry made the dish a little bitter (its also possible that the quinoa wasn't as well rinsed as advertised on the package), so I added two tsp of sugar to solve the problem.
Curried Quinoa Salad with Cucumber-Mint Raita
This Indian-inspired dish features quinoa, a high-protein grain that cooks relatively quickly. We like the heat that Madras curry powder brings, but use regular curry powder, if you prefer.
More From Oxmoor House
- Calories: 268
- Fat: 4.5g
- Saturated fat: 0.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Protein: 10.7g
- Carbohydrate: 46.8g
- Fiber: 6g
- Cholesterol: 2mg
- Iron: 4.4mg
- Sodium: 418mg
- Calcium: 122mg
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Madras curry powder
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 diced peeled ripe mango
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons currants
- 1/4 cup finely diced peeled English cucumber
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh mint
- 1 (6-ounce) carton plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 (6-ounce) package fresh baby spinach
- 1. Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add curry powder and garlic to pan; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add quinoa and 2 cups water; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 16 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat; stir in salt. Cool completely.
- 2. Add mango and next 4 ingredients to cooled quinoa; toss gently.
- 3. Combine cucumber, mint, and yogurt in a small bowl; stir well. Divide spinach evenly among 6 plates, and top each serving with about 3/4 cup quinoa mixture and about 2 tablespoons raita.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note