Curried Potato Pita Sandwiches
Notes: The curried potatoes also make a great side dish.
Yield: Makes 4 to 6 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 172
- Calories from fat: 10%
- Protein: 7.8g
- Fat: 2g
- Saturated fat: 0.3g
- Carbohydrate: 32g
- Fiber: 5.1g
- Sodium: 394mg
- Cholesterol: 0.8mg
- 1 onion (about 8 oz.), peeled, halved lengthwise, and thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salad oil
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- About 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold or other thin-skinned potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup diced peeled cucumber
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 pocket breads (about 6 in. wide), cut in half crosswise to make 6 pockets
- 1. In a 10- to 12-inch frying pan over medium heat, stir onion and 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic in oil until onion is limp and starting to brown, about 10 minutes. Stir in curry powder, cumin, cayenne, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- 2. Add potatoes and 1 cup water and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender when pierced, about 15 minutes; if they start to stick, add 1 to 2 tablespoons water to pan as needed. Stir in parsley and more salt to taste.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a bowl, mix yogurt, cucumber, lemon juice, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon garlic. Add salt to taste.
- 4. Toast pocket breads lightly in a toaster and gently pull open. Spoon potato mixture equally into halves; spoon yogurt sauce over potatoes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note