Curried Poached Pears with Coconut-Chicken Salad
Photo: Charles Walton; Styling: Leslie Byars Simpson
Yield: Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 3/4 cup flaked coconut
- 8 firm Bartlett pears
- 1 quart water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 quarts water
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 cup minced celery
- 1/3 cup minced green onions
- Coconut-Orange Dressing
- Bibb lettuce leaves
- Bake almonds and coconut in shallow pans at 350°, stirring often, 5 to 10 minutes or until toasted.
- Cut pears in half lengthwise; remove and discard cores. Place pear halves in a shallow dish. Add 1 quart water and lemon juice; let stand 10 to 15 minutes. Drain.
- Bring 2 quarts water and curry powder to a boil in a Dutch oven; add pear. Reduce heat, and simmer 6 to 8 minutes or until tender; drain.
- Combine almonds, coconut, chicken, celery, and green onions; stir in Coconut-Orange Dressing. Spoon evenly into pear halves, and place in a 15- x 10-inch jellyroll pan.
- Broil 3 inches from heat (with electric oven door partially open) 2 to 3 minutes or until tops are lightly browned. Serve on lettuce-lined plates.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note