Curried Mussels with Oven Frites
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 637
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Protein: 20g
- Fat: 21g
- Saturated fat: 8.4g
- Carbohydrate: 64g
- Fiber: 7.6g
- Sodium: 666mg
- Cholesterol: 53mg
- 2 russet potatoes (about 10 oz. each)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- About 1/4 teaspoon salt
- About 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup diced (1/4 in.) onion
- 1/2 cup diced (1/4 in.) carrots
- 1/2 cup diced (1/4 in.) celery
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes or 1 cup chopped firm-ripe tomatoes
- 1/4 cup crème fraîche or sour cream
- 1 1/2 pounds mussels, beards pulled off, scrubbed
- 1. Coat a 10- by 15-inch pan generously with cooking oil spray. Peel potatoes and cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick sticks. In pan, mix potatoes with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon paprika, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper; mix and spread level. Bake in a 450 degree regular or convection oven, turning occasionally with a wide spatula, until potatoes are crisp and browned on the outside and tender to bite on the inside, 25 to 30 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a 4- to 5-quart pan over high heat, stir onion, carrots, celery, thyme, curry powder, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon paprika in remaining 1/2 tablespoon olive oil until vegetables are limp, about 5 minutes. Add wine and tomatoes and their juices; boil, stirring occasionally, to blend flavors, about 5 minutes. Stir in crème fraîche and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 3. Discard any gaping mussels that don't close when you tap their shells. Add mussels to pan; cover and cook until shells pop open, 8 to 10 minutes.
- 4. Ladle mussels and broth into wide bowls. Serve with oven frites.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes