I loved the savory mushroom filling, and the contrast with the crispy exterior. I made the recipe as written, and brought it to a New Year's Eve party. I would make these again for a special occasion - too time consuming for every day!
Curried Mushroom Turnovers
Layers of phyllo crust help the savory filling in these turnovers stay hot longer than most appetizer fillings would--so you can save the warming tray for another appetizer.
Yield: 28 appetizers (serving size: 1 turnover)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 43
- Calories from fat: 19%
- Fat: 0.9g
- Saturated fat: 0.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.0g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.0g
- Protein: 1.4g
- Carbohydrate: 7.3g
- Fiber: 0.3g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 0.6mg
- Sodium: 92mg
- Calcium: 12mg
- Butter-flavored vegetable cooking spray
- 3 1/2 cups minced fresh mushrooms
- 3/4 cup minced shallots
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 14 sheets frozen phyllo pastry, thawed
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; place over medium-high heat until hot. Add mushrooms and shallots; cook, stirring constantly, 11 minutes or until mixture appears dry. Combine flour and next 4 ingredients; add to mushroom mixture in skillet. Cook, stirring constantly, 3 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in yogurt and cilantro.
- Cut 1 phyllo sheet in half lengthwise (keeping remaining phyllo sheets covered). Lightly coat phyllo halves with cooking spray, and fold halves in half lengthwise to form strips. Working with 1 strip at a time, spoon 1 tablespoon mushroom mixture onto base of strip. Fold right bottom corner over mixture to form a triangle; keep folding back and forth into a triangle to end of strip. Repeat entire procedure with remaining phyllo sheets and mushroom mixture.
- Place triangles, seam side down, on baking sheets. Lightly coat tops with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until golden. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Curried Mushroom Turnovers Recipe at a Glance