Maureen Valentine likes to update old favorites. With curry and vegetables, she brightens and lightens that enduring cafeteria sandwich, the sloppy joe. The result is comfort food with a fresh perspective.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 259
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Protein: 18g
- Fat: 8.2g
- Saturated fat: 2.1g
- Carbohydrate: 29g
- Fiber: 2.4g
- Sodium: 451mg
- Cholesterol: 38mg
- 1 pound ground lean turkey or ground lean beef
- 1 onion (6 oz.), peeled and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper (6 oz.), stemmed, seeded, and chopped
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons apricot jam or orange marmalade
- Salt and pepper
- 3 pocket breads (7 in.)
- 3 cups (3 oz.) baby spinach leaves, rinsed and crisped
- Plain nonfat yogurt (optional)
- 1. In an 11- to 12-inch nonstick frying pan over high heat, crumble turkey with a spoon and stir often until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer meat to a bowl. Discard fat in pan.
- 2. Add onion and bell pepper to the pan. Stir over high heat until the onion begins to brown, about 4 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Add curry powder, coriander, ginger, and tarragon, stirring until the spices are fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in tomato sauce, apricot jam, and turkey with its juices. Stir often until hot, about 2 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Spoon into a bowl.
- 3. Cut pocket breads in half crosswise and fill each half equally with the turkey mixture and spinach. Add yogurt to taste.
- Nutritional analysis per piece.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note