I was skeptical when first trying this recipe; however, it was a hit with all of my teenage daughters friends. Instead of stuffing the chicken I cooked boneless skinless chicken breast in the oven covered in extra mango chutney and served the curried stuffing on the side.
Curried Couscous-Stuffed Chicken
Photo: Jan Smith
If you can't fit the six stuffed breasts into the pot at once, cook in two batches for 15 minutes each.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 stuffed breast half)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 301
- Calories from fat: 18%
- Fat: 6.1g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Protein: 41.7g
- Carbohydrate: 17.7g
- Fiber: 1.5g
- Cholesterol: 99mg
- Iron: 1.7mg
- Sodium: 570mg
- Calcium: 43mg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons golden raisins
- 3 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons mango chutney
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup uncooked couscous
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 6 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 quarts water
- 6 tablespoons mango chutney (optional)
- Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, ginger, and garlic; sauté 2 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in raisins and almonds; sauté 1 minute. Stir in 1/4 cup water, juice, 1 1/2 tablespoons chutney, cumin, curry, 1/4 teaspoon salt, red pepper, and cinnamon. Bring to a boil; gradually stir in couscous. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Transfer couscous mixture to a bowl; cool 5 minutes. Stir in cilantro; set aside.
- Slice each breast half lengthwise, cutting to, but not through, other side. Open halves, laying breast flat. Place each breast half between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap; pound to 1/4-inch thickness using a meat mallet or small heavy skillet.
- Sprinkle chicken with remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt and black pepper. Divide couscous mixture into 6 equal portions; spoon each portion down center of each breast half, leaving a 1/2-inch border at each end. Fold sides over filling.
- Place a 2-foot-long sheet of heavy-duty plastic wrap on a work surface with 1 of the long sides hanging over the counter's edge by 2 inches. Place a stuffed breast half, seam side down, on the end farthest from you, and tightly roll the breast toward you, jelly-roll fashion. Twist the ends in opposite directions to form a cylinder. Tie plastic wrap in tight knots against the breast half on each end. Trim off excess wrap close to the knot. Place a second 2-foot-long sheet of heavy-duty plastic wrap on the work surface; place rolled breast on wrap, and repeat procedure. Repeat with remaining chicken breast halves.
- Bring 3 quarts water to a boil in a large stockpot; add chicken. Simmer 20 minutes (do not boil), turning occasionally. Remove from water, and let stand 10 minutes before unwrapping and cutting into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon mango chutney, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes