Adding nampla (fish sauce) and sugar improves this soup greatly. About a tablespoon of each. There's a much better recipe entitled "Coconut Curry Chicken Soup" that I would highly recommend over this one. You could easily substitute shrimp for the chicken.
Curried Coconut Soup
Homemade Curried Coconut Soup lets you bring home the flavors of your favorite Thai coconut soup without ever leaving your kitchen. Our verion is made with fresh shrimp.
More From Southern Living
Total: 25 Minutes
- 1 1/2 pounds peeled, medium-size raw shrimp (2 1/30 count)
- 1 extra-large vegetable bouillon cube
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 (8-oz.) package sliced fresh baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 (13.66-oz.) can coconut milk
- 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. ground red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1. Devein shrimp, if desired.
- 2. Stir together bouillon cube, ginger, and 3 cups water in a 3-qt. saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add shrimp, and cook, stirring often, 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and next 4 ingredients, and cook 5 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink. Stir in basil and next 2 ingredients just before serving. Season with salt to taste.
- The Sandwich: Toss together 1 cup chopped fresh snow peas, 2 grated carrots, 1 cup sliced English cucumber, and 1/4 cup bottled refrigerated ginger dressing. Spread 1/4 cup refrigerated hummus onto 4 large whole wheat wraps. Divide vegetable mixture among wraps, and roll up.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note