Iâve made this recipe twice. The first time I followed the recipe exactly and loved it. The next time I decided to tweek it a bit. I add 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne to the flour mixture. I also increased the quantity of raisins to a 1/2 cup and also added 1/4 cup of chopped dates and even my father-in-law who finds fault with everything asked for seconds.
Curried Chicken with Couscous
Boneless, skinless chicken thighs can now be found already packaged in the meat section of your supermarket. If you can't find this product, ask your butcher to bone and skin the chicken thighs while you shop.
More From Oxmoor House
Stand: 10 Minutes
- Calories: 307
- Fat: 6.3g
- Saturated fat: 1.3g
- Protein: 31.1g
- Carbohydrate: 32.7g
- Cholesterol: 95mg
- Iron: 2.8mg
- Sodium: 752mg
- Calories from fat: 18%
- Fiber: 5.2g
- Calcium: 91mg
- 3/4 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 1/2 cup frozen petite green peas
- 2/3 cup uncooked whole wheat couscous
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Spoon yogurt onto several layers of heavy-duty paper towels; spread to 1/2- inch thickness. Cover with additional paper towels; let stand 5 minutes. Scrape into a bowl; cover and refrigerate.
- Combine flour, 1 teaspoon curry powder, salt, and ground red pepper in a zip-top plastic bag. Add chicken; shake to coat.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat; add oil and chicken. Cook 2 to 3 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring frequently. Add 1/2 cup broth. Simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes or until sauce thickens and chicken is no longer pink.
- Combine remaining broth, remaining curry powder, carrot, and peas in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes or until carrot is tender. Gradually stir in couscous. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Spoon couscous onto serving plates; top with chicken mixture, yogurt, and cilantro.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note