Curried Chicken in Lettuce Leaves
- 6 medium-size dried shiitake mushrooms (about 1/2 ounce)
- 1 cup hot water
- 6 green onions
- 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pounds skinned and boned chicken thighs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, divided
- 1 serrano chili pepper, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Thai curry paste
- 1/2 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1 small Granny Smith apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup frozen tiny sweet green peas
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 2 heads romaine lettuce
- Soak mushrooms in hot water 30 minutes; drain, reserving liquid. Rinse mushrooms in cold water; pat dry. Remove and discard stems; thinly slice tops. Pour reserved liquid through a fine wire-mesh strainer into a measuring cup; reserve 1/2 cup.
- Slice green onions, separating green tops from white portions. Set aside.
- Remove excess fat from chicken. Cut chicken into 1-inch cubes.
- Sauté chicken in 2 tablespoons hot oil in a large skillet 5 minutes or until done. Remove from pan; cool. Coarsely chop chicken. Set aside.
- Sauté white portion of green onions and serrano pepper in remaining 2 tablespoons hot oil in a large skillet 1 minute; add mushroom liquid, curry paste, coconut milk, and soy sauce, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 3 minutes. Stir in mushrooms, carrot, and next 3 ingredients; simmer 3 minutes. Stir in chicken.
- Whisk together cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into chicken mixture. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly; boil, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Stir in basil and green onion tops. Serve over romaine lettuce leaves.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Salads