Tasty, easy recipe. Once you've got all of the ingredients prepped, the cooking goes pretty quickly, as well. I substituted low-sodium tamari sauce for the fish sauce. I do plan to make this again, but when I do, I'll add some additional vegetables, maybe some peas and red bell pepper which would also add some more color.
Curried Chicken and Cashews
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Cindy Barr
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 439
- Calories from fat: 27%
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated fat: 1.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.2g
- Protein: 26g
- Carbohydrate: 52.6g
- Fiber: 3.2g
- Cholesterol: 49mg
- Iron: 3.9mg
- Sodium: 669mg
- Calcium: 37mg
- 1/3 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- Remaining ingredients:
- 3/4 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 1/2 cups vertically sliced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Madras curry powder
- 3 small dried hot red chiles, broken in half
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup dry-roasted salted cashews, chopped
- 3 cups hot cooked short-grain rice
- 1. To prepare sauce, combine the first 5 ingredients; set aside.
- 2. Cut chicken across grain into 1/4-inch slices; cut slices into 1/2-inch-wide strips. Cut strips into 3-inch-long pieces.
- 3. Heat a 14-inch wok over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil to wok, swirling to coat. Add half of chicken to wok; stir-fry 2 minutes. Spoon cooked chicken into a bowl. Repeat procedure with 2 teaspoons oil and remaining chicken.
- 4. Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil to wok, swirling to coat. Add onion, ginger, and garlic to wok; stir-fry 1 minute or until lightly browned. Add curry powder and chiles; stir-fry 30 seconds. Add sauce and chicken to wok; stir-fry 1 minute. Spoon into a serving dish. Sprinkle with cilantro and cashews. Serve over rice.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This