- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons hot curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup cane or cider vinegar
- 3 pounds skinned and boned chicken breast halves, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 cup water
- 4 baking potatoes, peeled and cubed
- Hot cooked rice
- Garnishes: mango chutney, chopped roasted peanuts, raisins, flaked coconut, chopped green onions
How to Make It
Melt butter in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and ginger; sauté 6 minutes or until tender. Add curry and red pepper. Sauté 2 minutes. Stir in vinegar. Cool 10 minutes. Combine onion marinade and chicken in a heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag; seal and chill for 2 hours.
Combine chicken, marinade, and 1 cup water in a large Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add potato; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 20 minutes or until potato is tender. Serve over rice. Garnish, if desired.