Yum! Had this for Supper Club and paired it, like the recipe pictures, with the pear-cardamon scones! OMG! Loved it! Just enough texture to make it interesting and the curry was perfect! I will make again!
Curried Butternut Soup
Becky Luigart-Stayner; Jan Gautro and Melanie J. Clarke
You can make this rich soup with any kind of squash, or even sweet potatoes.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups soup and 2 tablespoons cheese)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 270
- Calories from fat: 27%
- Fat: 8.2g
- Saturated fat: 4.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 10.4g
- Carbohydrate: 42.7g
- Fiber: 9.8g
- Cholesterol: 23mg
- Iron: 1.9mg
- Sodium: 783mg
- Calcium: 221mg
- 8 cups cubed peeled butternut squash (about 2 pounds)
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups chopped peeled Granny Smith apple (about 3/4 pound)
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 (14 1/2-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated extra-sharp white cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Arrange squash in a single layer on a foil-lined baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 45 minutes or until tender.
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add apple, onion, celery, and bay leaf; sauté 10 minutes. Stir in curry powder and garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add squash, broth, and salt; stir well.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Partially mash mixture with a potato masher until thick and chunky; stir well with a spoon. Top each serving with cheese.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews