I feel like I missed something with this recipe because everyone gave it such rave reviews, and I found it a lot of work as well as a very boring dish. I kept checking over the ingredients to see if I had forgotten a key ingredient. I use myrecipes.com constantly with great results and praise from my family. I'm usually never this disappointed with a recipe.
Curried Butternut Squash and Potato Latkes with Apple Salsa
Photo: John Autry; Styling: Cindy Barr
Serrano chiles are more fiery than jalapeños. If you want to tame the heat, substitute a jalapeño or an even milder chile instead. If you want more spice, don't remove the seeds.
Yield: 7 servings (serving size: 2 latkes and about 1/4 cup salsa)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 218
- Fat: 10.1g
- Saturated fat: 1.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Protein: 4g
- Carbohydrate: 30.2g
- Fiber: 3.6g
- Cholesterol: 35mg
- Iron: 1.7mg
- Sodium: 265mg
- Calcium: 53mg
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped Gala apple
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup thinly vertically sliced red onion
- 1 finely chopped seeded serrano chile
- 5 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 5/8 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 3 cups shredded peeled butternut squash (about 3/4 pound)
- 3 cups shredded peeled baking potato (about 3/4 pound)
- 1 cup grated onion
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1. Combine apple and lime juice in a bowl; toss. Add onion, chile, 1 tablespoon cilantro, and 1/8 teaspoon salt; toss. Cover and chill.
- 2. Combine squash, potato, and onion in a colander; drain 30 minutes, pressing occasionally with the back of a spoon until barely moist. Combine potato mixture, remaining 4 tablespoons cilantro, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, flour, and next 5 ingredients (through egg) in a large bowl; toss well.
- 3. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 4 teaspoons oil to pan; swirl to coat. Spoon 1/4 cup potato mixture loosely into a dry measuring cup. Pour mixture into pan; flatten slightly. Repeat procedure 4 times to form 5 latkes. Sauté 3 1/2 minutes on each side or until golden brown and thoroughly cooked. Remove latkes from pan; keep warm. Repeat procedure twice with remaining oil and potato mixture to yield 14 latkes total. Serve with salsa.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables